Measure what matters
This week, Peter Maddison is our guest, and he is challenged with the heuristic “Measure what matters” from the Cloud Native Patterns repository (https://www.cnpatterns.org/strategy-risk-reduction/measure-what-matters). We discuss how to measure value and what techniques can be helpful to define metrics for teams creating and delivering software. We discuss how to expand towards measuring organisational performance and the impacts of different industry trends on our profession. He suggests starting measuring what matters: go and ask!
- How to Measure Anything by Douglas W. Hubbard (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/444653.How_to_Measure_Anything)
- Escape Velocity by Doc Norton (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41046439-escape-velocity—better-metrics-for-agile-teams)
- Measuring Outcomes… or how to get meaningful metrics with Gino Marckx (https://www.elevatechange.co/shareable/measuring-outcomes-or-how-to-get-meaningful-metrics-with-gino-marckx/)
- Our Xodiac blog posts on metrics (https://xodiac.ca/blog/tags/metrics)
- Focused Objectives GitHub repo - Lots of useful spreadsheets (https://github.com/FocusedObjective/FocusedObjective.Resources/tree/master/Spreadsheets)
Peter Maddison (@pgmaddison), coach and consultant with over 20 years of experience n helping organisations improve and thrive.