Do NOT rewrite from scratch if it is in production heuristics
Marijn is the guest of this episode, and he brings his heuristic: Do NOT rewrite from scratch if it is in production (https://marijn.huizendveld.com/design-heuristics/do-not-rewrite-from-scratch-if-it-is-in-production). He gives examples of how to evolve software in production, reducing the risk of building the same thing in a new tech stack. We discuss how the software evolution is connected to the business model of an company, and seems a technical design, can even impact the revenue model.
Marijn recommends the following resources:
- https://www.eventstorming.com/: Learn more about EventStorming, which is a great way to talk with people outside of tech
- Introducing EventStorming by Alberto Brandolini - https://leanpub.com/introducing_eventstorming
- Crossing the River by Feeling the Stones • Simon Wardley • GOTO 2018
- A different take on (context) mapping - Marijn Huizendveld - DDD Europe 2020 Marijn Huizendveld
- How to relate your OKRs to your technical real-estate - Marijn Huizendveld
- http://hintjens.com/blog:94: Ten rules for Good API Design by Peter Hintjens
- https://marijn.huizendveld.com: Learn more about Marijn, and his perspective on software design
As a consultant, Marijn Huizendveld (@huizendveld) helps scale-ups in Europe apply Domain-Driven Design.